Use of INSPIRE Data: past experiences and scenarios for the future
Context and objectives of the workshop
The INSPIRE Directive aims at creating a European Union spatial data infrastructure for the purposes of EU policies or
activities related to the environment. This vision theoretically refers to a large list of usages like policy-making across
boundaries, research, and communication to the citizen. INSPIRE data refers to data that have been or will be
published in this European data infrastructure. This vision is being targeted notably through specific data
requirements which are seen as a necessary step to enhance reusability of data across European situations,
respecting the diversity of physical geographies and of cultures.
Whereas the implementation of data service conforming to INSPIRE implementation rules is recognized to have
positive impact regarding the general principles aiming to build the European Spatial Data Infrastructure and has
brought significant progress on data discovery, there are lots of doubts regarding the benefits of interoperability.
Until now, it seems there are very few users of the INSPIRE compliant data.
This workshop is co-organised by the EuroGeographics INSPIRE KEN (Knowledge Exchange Network) and by EuroSDR
(Commission 4 on information usage). It is open to the different communities –practitioners and scientists- who can
contribute to achieve the INSPIRE vision. The attendance target of the workshop includes (but is not limited to):
- Data users (end users or software providers): to provide their feed-back about using INSPIRE data or investigating to use them. It includes potential users who may describe specific use cases for INSPIRE data.
- Data producers: to share their knowledge about who is using (or at least interested in using) the INSPIRE data they provide
- Researchers: as current or potential users of INSPIRE data and as solution provider to remove the barriers that restrain use of INSPIRE data
To apply to the workshop, for a presentation or mere participation, please send a mail before August 25th to the
organisers with the subject “Workshop Use of INSPIRE data: presentation proposal”.
Venue and important dates
The workshop will take place on 27-28 November 2018 in Warsaw.
- June 13th: call for participation
- August 25th: deadline to apply for a presentation
- September: final program dissemination