EuroSDR One-Day Workshop on Single Photon and Geiger-Mode LiDAR
After several years of significant but incremental technological developments in the LiDAR sector, the field is currently witnessing potentially revolutionary change through the introduction of Single Photon LiDAR (SPL) and Geiger-Mode LiDAR technologies. SPL / Geiger-Mode arguably provide a more efficient approach to perform high-resolution 3D mapping. They offer higher efficiency with respect to traditional linear LiDAR and additional 3D mapping capability in terms of swath width, spatial resolution, acquisition time and density of range returns.
These developments have led to National Mapping and Cadastral Agencies (NMCAs) considering a change in their production pipelines, while mapping companies are contemplating upgrading their airborne systems. However, few open datasets and experiences are available to inform such decisions, and the global geospatial community is keen to learn more about the technology and its deployment for 3D territorial mapping. These facts and considerations motivated the organization of this EuroSDR Workshop on SPL and Geiger-Mode LiDAR technology in Barcelona, Spain. The one-day workshop aimed to bring together experts, researchers, developers and practitioners in the mapping sector to discuss this exciting new scanning technology and the results achieved to date.
This EuroSDR event took place at ICGC in Barcelona, Spain. Presentations were made by representatives from industry, NMCAs and academia.
If you have any questions, please contact Jon Mills - email@example.com.
Programme and presentations
You can download the programme here.
- EuroSDR Single Photon / Geiger Mode Lidar questionnaire results (pdf)
Jon Mills, Newcastle University, UK
- EuroSDR preliminary study – potential of SPL (pdf)
Charly Bernard, IGN, France
- Update of the SPL LiDAR system and software for filtering and quality control (pdf)
Ron Roth, Product Manager Lidar, Leica Geosystems
- Using high-density LiDAR data for building models (pdf)
Poul Nørgård, Chief Product Manager, Leica Geosystems
- Single Photon v Full Waveform LiDAR - technological differences and point cloud properties (pdf)
Gottfried Mandlburger, TU Wien / Stuttgart University, Austria / Germany
- Single Photon LiDAR in practical use in Europe (pdf)
Simon Musäus, COWI, Denmark
- SPL compared to traditional and other high performance laser systems (pdf)
Jeroen Leusink / Erik Nobbe, Het Waterschapshuis, The Netherlands
- Classifying Single Photon LiDAR data using Machine Learning and Open Source tools (pdf)
Víctor García Morales, Tracasa, Spain
- Single photon LiDAR in forestry applications (pdf)
André Wästlund, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden
- SPL point cloud classification for DTM and automatic vector production (pdf)
Guillaume Koehl, IGN, France
- EuroSDR Single Photon / Geiger Mode Lidar benchmark project: proposal and discussion (pdf)
Jon Mills, Newcastle University, UK and Fabio Remondino, FBK Trento, Italy
Institut Cartogràfic i Geològic de Catalunya
Parc de Montjuïc
08038 Barcelona, Spain
On the evening of Wednesday 6th March (19:00), all participants were invited to join a complimentary social dinner, kindly hosted by Leica Geosystems at Café de la Pedrera (see www.cafedelapedrera.com/en/). More information on how to reach the restaurant can be found here.
An overview of hotels in Barcelona can be found here.
Jon Mills (Newcastle University, UK)
Julià Talaya (ICGC, Spain)
Fabio Remondino (FBK Trento, Italy)